Known as the “Sunshine State,” Florida is a popular tourist destination, largely thanks to its subtropical climate and beautiful beaches.
Here are 10 must-see attractions when visiting Florida:
1. Busch Gardens Africa (in Tampa) – A 335-acre theme park with an African theme. The park hosts many animal exhibits as well as exciting family and thrill rides.
2. Cypress Gardens (in Winter Haven): Originally a botanical garden and known for its water ski shows, Cypress Gardens is now a modern theme park.
3. Daytona USA (at Daytona Beach): Daytona Beach is known as the home of the famous Daytona 500 race. It is also home to Daytona USA, a motorsports attraction that incorporates an IMAX theater, a racing simulator, and more. racing and motor sports exhibitions.
4. Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum (in Key West): The famous house at 907 Whitehead Street where Ernest Hemingway lived and wrote many of his classics. The area is still home today to six-toed polydactyl cats descended from the days of Hemingway.
5. Gatorland (in Orlando): A 110-acre alligator theme park and wildlife preserve.
6. Kennedy Space Center (near Cape Canaveral): The Kennedy Space Center has served as America’s spaceport for the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Space Shuttle programs. The center houses a wonderful visitor complex with many exhibits, two IMAX theaters, and offers bus tours of the complex.
7. Monkey Jungle (in Miami): Monkey Jungle is a 30-acre reserve that is home to some 400 primates of 30 species. Visitors walk through the cage tunnels while the monkeys run free outside.
8. Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens (in Delray Beach): A center for Japanese art and culture. It incorporates two museums as well as Japanese gardens, and is also home to several Japanese festivals held at various times throughout the year.
9. Salvador Dalí Museum (in Saint Petersburg): A museum dedicated to the life and work of the famous surrealist artist. The museum houses seven Dalí masterpieces.
10. Walt Disney World Resort (at Lake Buena Vista, just outside Orlando): Walt Disney World is a huge complex of several theme and water parks, including the famous Magic Kingdom.