Most of the heavy equipment manufactured today is built in a more efficient and environmentally friendly way, particularly aerial lifting devices. Many industries are carefully considering the impact of hybrid bucket trucks to provide a competitive advantage. Green fuel technology and powerful aerial lift devices are rapidly gaining popularity due to their influence on conventional technology, especially on fuel efficiency. Before taking advantage of this technological innovation, it helps to understand the pros and cons of this unique vehicle to fully understand its importance in delivering longer life, cost of ownership, and faster return on investment.
There are certain definite advantages to using hybrid bucket trucks in various industries.
- Fuel consumption – These sustainable bucket trucks feature a standard diesel-powered engine and rechargeable electric battery pack that work together to allow the entire machine to save fuel by providing higher fuel efficiency with lower emissions. The hybrid system will shut down the diesel engine during stops or idling, saving on gasoline use. By using such efficient machines, fuel efficient operation can be achieved and money saved in the long run.
- environmental friendly – A major contributor to air pollution is the burning of fossil fuels. By using hybrid bucket trucks, carbon dioxide emissions are reduced, resulting in less air pollution. Compared to the conventional utility truck, hybrid vehicles use 30 to 50 percent less fuel, which produces fewer smog-generating emissions and helps reduce global warming.
- Noise reduction – These vehicles drastically reduce noise levels in the workplace by not using the diesel engine during operation. The rechargeable battery pack provides power for boom operation, air conditioning, and lighting.
In addition to the advantages, there are certain disadvantages to buying a hybrid bucket truck.
- Price – The retail price of these unique bucket trucks is much higher than their equivalent counterpart. In fact, a hybrid unit can cost approximately $ 70,000.00 more than a conventional vehicle. Hopefully, the high cost can be recouped by saving on gas.
- Risk of accidents – Another major concern is the risks in the event of an accident. When involved in an accident, it can be difficult to get victims out of the vehicle due to the large amount of voltage stored in a rechargeable battery pack, which translates into an increased likelihood of electrocution.
- Higher gross weight – Hybrid vehicles weigh approximately twenty percent more than conventional vehicles due to the heavy rechargeable battery pack. For urban operations, such a heavy weight might not be of serious concern; however, in non-urban operations, the added weight could be a big problem.
The benefits of hybrid bucket trucks can help any business stay ahead of the competition, which is critical in the demands of newer technology. When considering an aerial lift device, it is essential to know the pros and cons of various types of hybrid systems because such a purchase can have a significant impact on overall business operations. In today’s economic climate, all businesses are looking for solutions to lower operating costs, extend vehicle life, and increase productivity levels, all while providing sustainability to the environment!